Buildings have a profound effect on the natural environment and human health. In fact, the U.S. Green Building Council tells us that, in the United States alone, buildings account for:
- 72% of electricity consumption.
- 39% of energy use.
- 38% of all carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions
- 40% of raw materials use.
- 30% of waste output (136 million tons annually).
- 14% of potable water consumption.
Green buildings benefit not only the environment by preserving green space and biodiversity but also have economic and health benefits. Owners of green buildings can expect to enjoy lower operating and maintenance costs while those employed in green buildings are typically healthier and more productive. This is accomplished by recognizing that building systems can be complimentary and multi-functional and utilizing resources, including energy, water, and materials, more efficiently.
Why build green in Dunedin? Click here to find out!
The City now has incentives for green certified building projects. Click here for details
Read about the services available to you as a builder/developer in the City of Dunedin Click here to read our newsletter update
*Tax credits are available to home builders that construct energy efficient new homes.
Click here for qualification details
Green Buildings in Dunedin
These buildings or subdivisions have been certified by a third party as a Green Building or Development. To find out how your building or development can be listed on this page, click here.
Dunedin Community Center
1920 Pinehurst Road
Dunedin, FL 34698
Certification Type: USGBC LEED-NC
Certification Date: September 2007
Company: City of Dunedin, Florida
- 30% more efficient than a standard building ($35,000/year operating cost savings).
- Reduced use of pavement, grass parking lot is reinforced with “Geo-Web”.
- Only “green” cleaning products used in building.
- 41% of materials were manufactured within 500 miles of the jobsite.
- Low VOC (volatile organic compound) paints, adhesives, sealants, and carpet.
Glen Cairn Cottages
619 Douglas Ave
Dunedin, FL 34698
Certification Type: FGBC Development 4.0
Certification Date: May 2008
Company: Pocket Neighborhoods
- All homes in Glen Cairn certified as ENERGY STAR Qualified New Homes
- Low-flow shower heads and dual flush, low-flow toilets to minimize water consumption
- ENERGY STAR low-E, tinted, dual pane, single-hung vinyl insulated windows with grids, screen, and tilt lower sash for easy cleaning (U-factor = 0.35, SHGC = 0.27)
- State-of-the-art 15 SEER HVAC system, zoned to increase efficiency and reduce energy consumption
- Tankless Water Heater, providing endless hot water and savings of up to 40% over conventional electric hot water tank systems
Shady Grove Subdivision
Shady Grove Drive
Dunedin, FL 34698
Certification Type: USGBC LEED for Homes
Certification Date: July 2010
Company: Habitat for Humanity
- Florida friendly landscaping with preserved mature trees and irrigated with reclaimed water
- Caroma low-flow, dual-flush toilets Enhanced attic insulation, high-efficiency air conditioning, and low-E insulated windows for maximize energy efficiency
- White metal roofs with heat-reflective roof covering
- Steel-reinforced and insulated concrete walls
- Furnished with materials from Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore
- Approximately $1035 in annual utility and insurance cost savings
Have questions, comments or suggestions?
Call Sustainability Coordinator, Christina Perez at 727-298-3215 (ext 1324) or Email now!