Skip to page body Home About Dunedin Living Visiting Doing Business Government How Do I

Sinkhole Questions & Answers

How can I learn about sinkholes?

Please click here to be directed to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) which offers a wealth of information and resources about sinkholes.

Please click here to read valuable information from the Southwest Florida Water Management District (SWFWMD) on sinkholes.

What is the City’s role in sinkhole remediation?

The City’s role comes after a claim has been filed with the insurance company, a geotech report has been conducted, and a private engineer has been brought in to design a repair.  The City is only involved in receiving the building permit application, reviewing the certification from the engineer who designed the repair and certifies that the work was done to his/her report standard, and issuing a permit if approved. Upon receipt of the Engineer's Certificate of Completion, the City Building Inspector will perform a final inspection to determine if the site was left in an acceptable condition.

Are there any sinkholes in Dunedin?

The City of Dunedin maintains building permit records of subsidence repair locations, some of which may be sinkholes. There is a map available for public view in the waiting room of the Planning & Development office at 737 Louden Avenue. Please contact the Building Division at 727-298-3210 to review building permit records.

Last updated: 5/2/2017 12:25:05 PM